Friday, February 26, 2010

OMG THE NEW SL VIEWER SUCKS BALLS!!



We're in SL because we like Second Life, not because we like Fritter or Twitbook.
The user interface for 1.23 and earlier was much like that of an operating system.  It stays out of your way, allows for customization where needed, and encourages the emergence of power users.  The 2.0 interface is, as apparently intended, like a browser. Everything is so in your face that it gets annoying fast. The old 1.23 client and before I got in a matter of a couple of hours messin with every feature nook and cranny. As an IT Director and very computer and gamer knowledgeable I can pick up anything new and pro that shit out in a few hours, game or program/application. This new 2.0 client makes me want to run my head into the wall and stab my eyes with a banana.
Now some of the new features are quite nice. My favorite is the option of when you go into mouselook, you can see yourself like in RL (from the upper chest down to the feet) this I am sure will make blowjobs look awesome.  
The inventory layout is god awful. Chat windows are not customizable like in 1.23. You have to turn on music every time you enter a new region. Building stuff is a complete chore and turn off with the new "Browser." Yes that is right....It is a damn browser. Really do we need this crap. Everything that was easy to do in the usual client is now many more clicks away and embedded far in strange menus. The bases if a 3d world is navigating and creating with ease. This new "browser" totally slaps those ideas in the face. Way to fucking go LL.
New users may like it at first cause who the hell does not use a web browser to surf. However, after that it gets so annoying to use that they might just not give what makes SL awesome a chance. I really hope this viewer is not mandatory. They better let us still have a choice to go "old school", but if not, There is always Emerald.

3 comments:

  1. It does suck and I took it off my pc immediately yuk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind them rearranging things to make better logical sense. I'm perfectly willing to spend a little time retraining myself if it will benefit me in the long run. But I installed and tried this viewer on Saturday and it crashed three times! The std viewer hardly ever crashes for me. I go weeks between crashes. I know it's a Beta and likely to be unstable, but geez! It's more like an alpha than a beta.

    I agree, the new SL Beta SUX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not that it is rearranging...They are embedding the most useful parts and moving others to places they have no reason being. Plus the basic most useful function of world chat and IM is a chore. Probably cause they want people to voice more than type, but the placement of the "small as hell" world chat line and the unsizeable non floatable IM windows makes chatting a clog and a chore.

    The building and edit fucntions are so warped and insane that this is gonna wreck havok on builders and terrain editors. If they can't get these simple uses of SL (which are the most used and basic) think about the other functions they messed up in this crappy conversion.

    As far as crashing and fps...I noticed no change. I am really concerned more on the usefulness and ease right now. After more extended use on one of my normal computers, I will then assess it's running. I installed it on my beast of a machine that has 4 vid cards in quad-SLI (4x Nvida x275 GTXs), 8 gigs ram and the fastest I7 intel quad core duo inside.

    ReplyDelete